- Where is Koper
Koper is located in the country of Slovenia. Slovenia is located in the central southeast Europe and is a full member of European Union. As third largest city in Slovenia, Koper is known for its logistically important Port of Koper. The maiden cruise call dates back to the year 2005 and since then has seen an up rise in the cruise arrivals.
- Port of Koper
Port of Koper is a one of the two cruise ship locations that are available in Slovenia. While the ships dock in Koper on the berth that is walking distance from the City of Koper, the second one, is in Piran and is anchor Port.
- Where cruise ships dock
The cruise ships dock at the Koper passenger terminal. The facility does not hold a build up terminal building, but offers all the necessary services in the solid tent terminal. There is a waiting area, restrooms, police and security control and access to the transportation and souvenir booths and tourist information center.
The location is 200m from Koper’s central square. Tito Square is just a 5 minutes walk away. The dock offers easy access to the central part of Koper with the use of the local free of charge elevator, which gives you a lift to the upper part of the city. Alternatively there is the possibility to visit Koper with a seaside promenade, which includes a 500m – 1,5km circle walk around the town of Koper, Slovenia.
The cruise ship basically docks within the walking distance of the major Koper sights and offers an easy walk to the Koper highlights.
- Where are Lake Bled, Ljubljana, Postojna Cave, Piran
Most popular tour destinations on a cruise to Slovenia are:
- Lake Bled – as a full day tour option, the visit includes a 2:00 hour drive one way.
- Ljubljana City – as a half day tour option, the visit includes a 90 minutes drive each way
- Postojna Cave – as a half day option, the destination is 60 min drive one way
- Piran – as a half day option with a 30 min drive one way.
- Shuttle bus
Port of Koper does mot need a shuttle bus, due to the fact that the major Koper highlights can be found walking distance.
- What to do in Koper
When in Koper there is a nice selection of things to do. A combination of cultural sites include:
- Tito Square
- Cathedral of St Mary Assumption
- Bel tower
- Pretorian Palace
- Koper Regional museum
- Coastal Galleries
If looking for a green visit, there is the Skocjan reserve where a nice walk in the park offers a local biodiversity observation.
During summer months there is an activity offer at the Zusterna beach – Active Koper.
Shopping in Koper offers also a range of options:
- shopping mall Tus Planet
- Local souvenir shops in Koper town
- Open air market with fresh produce from the local farms
- At Koper passenger terminal there are conveniently located souvenir stalls
- There are shops with high fashion labels, but some nice clothes garments can be found.
- How to explore Koper
As mentioned, Koper town centre can be easily explored on your own for a few hours or the whole day. It is also a very nice combination, if included, at the end of a tour, as you can easily walk back to the ship. We suggest to take a shore excursion and visit Koper City upon your return.